In 1915, in the middle of the First World War, Lloyd Dynamowerke (LDW) was founded with the support of Norddeutscher Lloyd. The aim was the professional development and manufacturing of electrotechnology, including electrical propulsion technology for ship-building. In the same year, Albert Einstein delivered his first lecture on the General Theory of Relativity that he had developed.
In 1934, AEG took over all LDW business areas. For more than 60 years LDW was an important part of the AEG Group, responsible for electrical motors and generators with an output range of up to 60 MW. During these years, LDW always managed to exploit and promote technological progress.